LK Englisch Second Examination
1. Textvorlage: fiktional
2. Fundstelle: Death of a Salesman, p. 54, l. 3 - p. 58, l.14, Klett
3. Wortzahl: ca. 700
4. Titel: ‘Asking the Boss A Favour’ (or ‘The Howard Scene’)
Verfasser: Arthur Miller
5. Anmerkungen: s. Text
1. Situate the scene in the overall structure of the play and write a short summary of it. (25%)
2. Make a careful analysis of the conversation between Willy and Howard, including the way they behave. (The following questions provide some clues to things you might want to look at (but you may also include other
points of interest!):
- How does Howard react when Willy enters the office? What does that tell us about Willy?
- Why does Willy appear to warm to the idea of recording programmes?
- When Willy says that he does not want to travel any longer, how does Howard respond?
- Why does Willy start to talk about his decision not to go to Alaska and about Dave Singleman? Is he convincing?)
3. Briefly describe the personality ethic embodied by Willy Loman. You may quote from the entire play to provide evidence. (15%)
Arthur Miller seems to suggest that our society, and especially the business world, share the personality ethic. According to him, the play aims to destroy the ‘bullshit’ of capitalism, ‘that pseudo life that thought to
touch the clouds by standing on top of a refrigerator’. How do you feel about capitalism and the effects it has on people’s personality? (i.e. do you agree or disagree with Miller and why?, etc.) (30%)
7. Hilfsmittel: Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
8. Zusätzliche Anmerkungen:
Leave yourself enough time to count your words and to check for mistakes, style, etc.
Cut down on language slips by writing carefully.
Write your name at the top of every sheet of paper and hand in all the sheets.